Sunday, February 21, 2010

Childhood was awesome

Just coming out of my hiatus to say that listening to the soundtracks of computer games I played almost a decade ago is crazy nostalgic. All I played back in those days were real-time strategy games, and the 90's were a golden age for them (Age of Empires I and II, Starcraft, Dark Reign, Red Alert 2, etc.). And besides being outrageously addicting, they all also provided high-quality music to go along with the player's wanton slaughter of pixelated people. These were the tunes I had stuck in my head all day even before I started to listen to "actual" music. And now, after finding them again on Youtube, I can truly appreciate the work developers put into making the whole gaming experience something to remember.


This is my personal favorite...from Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. Shit is infectious. I guarantee that the beat will embed itself instantly into the deepest recesses of your minds.




Also, check out the EPIC soundtrack to Dark Reign, an underrated RTS from this era. All the songs are amazingly high-quality...it's like they were ripped straight out of the Star Trek/Wars/Gate movies.





There's also this fine number from Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2. I would give this bad boy a spin while pumping some iron.







Rock on, classic game soundtracks. Rock on.

2 comments:

Sonie said...

OMG I was just playing Age of Empires over winter break..I love that game and miss playing it from my childhood! Other faves...Civilizations, Zelda, and anything N64!!!

Unknown said...

Woah you too??? Didn't you learn a lot about history too? I don't think people would be making fun of Americans if every child was required to play those games.


I still remember the first day I laid eyes on AOE. My cousin from China was visiting and he pulled out a bunch of bootleg computer games and told me to choose two. I was like 8 so I made my choices based on coolness of the cover art.

That ranks up there with my best decisions in LIFE.

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2009 The Rod of Ebullience