Sunday, June 14, 2009

"white people love the roots"

Da Merciless famously imparted me with some wisdom a few years back. As I was listening to the Roots in my dorm room, I thought I was annoying my next-door neighbors. I'm black, I'm me, so I play my music very loudly. I was aware of the rude ass, near-unhealthy levels of music I was playing, so I decided to turn the volume down a tad. No less than 37 seconds later, I get a knock on the door. It was my fair-skinned friend from next door. Instead of reluctantly telling me to lower the volume and fearing I’d vehemently deny because I’m black, she said, “Can you play that song again? I love the Roots.” I was surprised. Merciless was not. He, being a Philly native, had been exposed to the Roots and their fans far more than I had been up to that point. As my fair-skinned friend walks away, Merciless turns and says, “white people love the Roots,” and it stuck.

Not only is it funny, it’s true.

See evidence below, from the Roots Picnic last weekend. They were going IN!


Here's another for good measure.


I know, I know, black people enjoy them, too.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

As of 2:05 AM on June 15, there were 1,924 comments for that video.


My guess is that 1,914 of them came from white people.

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2009 The Rod of Ebullience