Saturday, August 8, 2009

We Takin' Over...One Felon at a Time...[Penn in the News]

So me and Sid currently attend the University of Pennsylvania, an Ivy League institution located in beautiful West Philadelphia. According to this year's US News Best Colleges list, we are also the 6th best university in the nation. However in spite of the accolades, there is one thing we truly lack and is something I feel a lot of undergrads are bitter about: our complete inability to get name recognition. We already know that we're not Harvard or Yale (old money + old rich donors = fresh), but it's unacceptable that normal people are more likely to know about Dartmouth or Brown than us. Our name doesn't help either, especially during the countless occasions when we're confused with another top tier institution of learning.

Anyway, because we don't get too many props from the national media, you can imagine our surprise when we saw this last week:







Meet Scott McGann: West Coast computer programmer-turned-scrap metal artist-turned-homeless dude-turned-national headline. Oh, but that's not the real story. The real story is the shirt he is proudly donning in this photograph. If you look closely, the upside-down phallus actually contains the names of all of Penn's college dormitories (Harrison FTW), and the head is our school emblem. These shirts were handed out for free during the end of this past fall semester, and were all the rage since every third person I saw everyday on campus was wearing one. Shockingly, Mr. McGann is not a Penn alum and I could not find anything about a possible connection on Google (if it's not on Google it doesn't exist). This has led to a few possible theories about how he acquired the shirt. I will list them from 1 to 5, with 1 being the least likely just because I like to confuse people and make them read unnecessarily long blog entries.



1. He got it as a gift from a friend or relative who goes/went to Penn.

This is the most unlikely scenario because nobody in their right mind would give away such a majestic article of clothing. Its beauty lies in its simplicity and versatility. How many other shirts can you wear on a hot date, to Stat 111 recitation, AND while getting tackled by a cop? Exactly.



2. He dated a Penn girl and kept the shirt as a souvenir.

Mr. McGann would be quite the catch for Penn girls who like the scraggly, unemployed/unwashed indie rocker look so this scenario is not that unlikely. Although after noticing how that shirt looks on him I would hope, for his sake, that this wasn't what went down...



3. A drunk Penn kid working over the summer in Manhattan took this shirt off and threw it out the window of a cab right before he/she puked. McGann found it the next day and jizzed. in. his. pants.

This is a more viable explanation because the sheer number of Penn kids working in Manhatten over the summer significantly increases the chances of finding one of those badboys lying on the ground somewhere over there. It is also more likely because alcohol can really mess you up, man. It can make people do crazy shit like punch best friends, cry or giggle spontaneously, punch complete strangers, and throw away bad-ass T-shirts.



4. He scoured the internet looking for this particular shirt, and paid top dollar for it when he found it on Craigslist.


We're getting warmer. A lot of Penn kids are intelligent and resourceful so it would not be a surprise to me if some clever bastard somehow managed to procure not one, but TWO of these glorious shirts. Seeing that one was already way too cool for him to handle, he decided to share the love with a lucky stranger by selling the second one.



So what's the most likely explanation of how Scott McGann got his hands on a Penn College House 10th Anniversary T-shirt?







5. He killed someone for it.


That's right. He saw a kid wearing one of these things, and Bolo Yeung'd his ass right there on the spot.




And there you have it, guys and girls. The first installment thus far of Penn in the News. Stay tuned until next time when we actually have an alum getting on the news for doing some wacky shit.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a problem

Unknown said...

haha this made me laugh...at first i was like what is up with these retarded spaces, but now i have seen the light...

Jilal Anjwele said...

I just want to state, that I read your posts.. beginning to end even. And then I always wish I could take back my time. Usually I just drop my uncle's bowling ball on my toe to serve as a lesson -- you'd think I'd learn by now.

I guess being a paraplegic kinda helps =T either way...y'all are terrible bloggers.

Unknown said...

Judging by that hatred written above...can I be your number 1 now?
:-)

Jenny said...

I hope you enjoyed your time laughing on the backs of others' sorrows. When will people ever think, for even a moment, about anyone but themselves? Did it ever occur to you how cruel it would be for his mother or friend to read this? In my search for real information or someone who may possibly know him, I have shed more tears over crap like this than I care to admit. Hoping to find someone who might know him, I read all the way through your blog, only to feel slapped at the idea of your laughter at the idea of him killing someone, which is ridiculous and evades the point. His only crime, so far as I have found, is that he is unwilling (not unable) to communicate with those holding him for carrying some ART. Your schadenfreud disgusts me.

Unknown said...

First of all, can I say that "schadenfreud" is a bad-ass word? I always thought that anyone who had the ability to use that in an actual sentence to insult someone else was an automatic genius.


Thanks for proving me wrong.


If you read through the entry again, you should realize that the main joke was not on Mr. McGann himself but rather on the odd fact that he was in possession of a T-shirt which I see on a regular basis on my college campus. This was amusing to me for two reasons:

1) Penn doesn't receive random national exposure like that all the time
2) The guy has no solid connection to Penn that I know of.

If you couldn't tell the first time around, my whole post was centered on that T-shirt and how damn sexy it is.

So hopefully I just cleared up your misunderstanding. It's OK, I'm not angry at you for riding on your high horse and automatically jumping to the conclusion that I'm making fun of a guy just because he did something which triggered quick-thinking NYC cops (they don't play around) to tackle his ass to the ground. Too bad he wasn't more willing to talk to them, huh?

jenlazee said...

doesn't matter your intention. you are still insensitive, which was my point.

Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for the sake of that singular model. The prices seeking the sneakers are approximately 340 dollars everwhere. But finally I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi there ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that exact model. The prices as regards the boots were all over 240 pounds on every site. But for all I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hello fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging as far as something that singular make. The prices for the boots were around 170 bucks on every site. But definitively I found this locate selling them for half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been looking allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices as regards the velcros are around 350 dollars on every site. But completely I found this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order those. what is your opinion?

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2009 The Rod of Ebullience